What is a emergency alert for seniors?
The first reaction of most people may be: large equipment. Think it is bulky and not easy to operate. This idea is really wrong.
The medical alarm system is a life-saving device. When you press a button or fall, the system will automatically detect it, and it can provide assistance to the elderly. It is designed for those who are elderly, weak, and disabled, such as those suffering from severe illness, mental illness, postoperative repair, and mobility impairments.
How to choose a medical alert system?
There are many similar products on the market, and each product has its own characteristics. Nevertheless, reliable medical equipment still has some essential characteristics.
- Durable. Most medical equipment is of superior quality and can be used for several years without problems. The call button can withstand falling.
- Easy to use. The purpose of product design is to simplify life and make users more at ease. The majority of the groups using such products are elderly people. They are older and less tolerant of new things as young people, so the simpler the device, the more friendly to them.
- Excellent service. As the saying goes, "Customer is God", the most important thing in nursing business is humanization. The more excellent products and services, the more customers can be attracted.
- Reasonable price. Some expensive products require a monthly fee ranging from US$25 to US$45 per month. If it is a mobile type, the price will be higher, which is unaffordable for some families. So you have to buy products within the economic range.
- Coverage. General products support a range of less than 500 feet, which is equivalent to the size of two football fields. what does that mean? Even if you are standing across from the house, when you need help, don’t worry about not being able to receive the signal because of the distance.
Compared with the plug-in type, the wireless alarm system is more convenient, but while it has advantages, it should have some disadvantages.
- Strong flexibility, can be used freely under the condition of cellular mobile network.
- Give the elderly freedom. For the elderly who want to maintain their independence, wireless networks will be the ideal solution. No matter how far away the elderly are from home, they are provided with freedom to do what they want.
- Simple to set up. Most wireless systems come with a plug-and-play setup process, which means you can set up the device with the push of a button. After the system starts, it will use cellular signals (such as mobile phones) to communicate with the monitoring center.
- High overhead. Compared with traditional alarm systems, the end-of-month-based system is more expensive, and users may need to pay for activation when purchasing.
- The signal is very important. If the signal at home is not good, or if the elderly live in a community without cellular services, this is not a practical choice.
- Unstable. In the event of power outages, earthquakes, typhoons, etc., it may cause long-term signal interruption and make the equipment unusable.
There are different styles of devices that can trigger alarms.
- Pendant hanging around the neck
- Mini device on the belt
- Smart watch
- Motion detector installed at home
The research team at Florida State University is currently working on a device for users to wear, which can not only be used as a typical emergency alert for seniors, but also has a built-in fall detection system. Designed to monitor the user's position, position and movement when falling. The new fall detection technology has been integrated into watches, pendants, and hearing aid devices.