A longer lifespan can be a double-edged sword. You live for more years, but the later years may not necessarily be what you had in mind. A new study suggests that two-thirds of Americans over age 65 need help doing everyday activities such as eating, bathing, and getting in and out of bed or a chair.
We’ve known for some time that about 25% of older Americans can’t perform some activities of daily living without help. But we don’t know much about the other 75%. Are they getting along fine, or do they, too, need some help?
A new report based on data collected as part of the National Health and Aging Trends Study offers more detailed information on the state of seniors. Researchers interviewed more than 8,000 older Americans, most of them living at home, about activities of daily living. The participants also completed tests of physical and mental skills.
From the data, the researchers determined the percentage of older adults in five categories of function or adaptation:
- 31% were as mobile as they desired and performed all activities of daily living without any assistance
- 25% were as mobile as they desired and performed all activities of daily living but needed help from one or more devices, such as canes or bathroom grab bars
- 21% needed someone to help them get around or with one or more activities of daily living
- 18% said they had trouble being mobile or performing activities of daily living, even with assistive devices and changes in the home
- 6% limited their activities and mobility, even with assistive devices and changes in the home
Ability also varied by age. Among those aged 65 to 69, 45% said they didn’t need any help, compared to 4% of those aged 90 or older.
Invest in yourself
Many people begin financial planning for retirement in their 30s and 40s. That’s also the perfect time to begin physical planning for retirement and old age. The key to remaining independent is to stay as free of disability as possible. Although your genes determine part of how well—or how poorly—your body and mind will age, much of that is under your control.
There are a number of things you can do to help ward off becoming frail or disabled, or prevent either from getting worse. These include:
- Staying active. Exercise and physical activity are as close as we can come to preventing disease and disability. It’s best to start early to make physical activity a habit, but you’re never too old or frail to exercise.
- Maintaining a healthy weight and choosing a healthy diet. Eat a variety of healthy foods, and don’t skip meals. If you don’t feel like eating or if you lose weight unexpectedly, see your doctor. The culprit could be illness, medications, depression, or possibly dental problems. Your doctor or a nutritionist may recommend a high-calorie supplement.
- Practicing fall prevention. Frailty can cause falls. But it works the other way, too: falls can lead to frailty. If medications affect your balance or alertness, discuss a lower dose or different medicine with your physician. Have your vision checked regularly. Clear your home of clutter and loose rugs or wires. Good lighting is essential; use night-lights in bathrooms, hallways, and, if needed, your bedroom. Wear flat-soled shoes or boots that grip. In bad weather, exercise indoors.
- Making connections. Relationships can keep you active and help ward off depression. Dining with others may encourage better eating. And an exercise or walking partner can help you stick to your program.
- See your primary care doctor, eye doctor, and dentist regularly. They can identify conditions that contribute to frailty, such as heart disease, and vision or dental problems.
The earlier you start financial planning for retirement, the more money you are likely to have put aside for it. The same holds for physical planning: the earlier you start, the more likely you are to live independently in your later years.